So...2012=Doom?

dinosaur

troublemaker
There you go. Keep thinking minute to minute. That's all most people do. Where is imagination? Most folks have very little. What I have learned is that if you can not totally disprove something, its' possible.

oldmangunner

I think what is more than possible, in fact it is very likely, that some people will panic, like grandpa said, and others will know those people will panic and will run for supplies. There are many who know this and can profit from it, why not stock the most expensive toilet paper if it might be the last people buy. We live to enjoy the day, and we plan for the future. That means we are stock piling. Think about all of the recent disasters. If the world ends or not, you need a weeks worth of food and water in the case of any disaster.

catspa

You need a weeks worth of food and water to get through this week even without a disaster, and then another for next week... Just sayin'.

Parker

dinosaur

troublemaker
I think what is more than possible, in fact it is very likely, that some people will panic.
Absolutely. And, getting back on subject. let's assume the Mayans knew, because they had accurate prophecy, all about future events,

Picture their astronomers happily going about the process of carving out the Mayan calendar. They manage to acheive December 21, 2012 when a prophet comes to them and says: Hey, guys, that's far enough. Our entire civilization will be wiped out well before that date. Any further work on that thing is just overkill and the king wants you guys to start working on Horoscopes for the Royal Family.

catspa

"...and keep it kinda vague this time, willya? Otherwise it's off with our heads for being wrong..."

Even the lowliest peasant could predict that.

Parker

limbs

Haha, you guys are too funny. You are right about needing a lot of food to get through one week. With 5 people here we go through a ton of food! For our stock pile everything is cans. I figure in a disaster, that is really the best option and the kids can complain if they want to.

Sagebrusher

Well, things had better start cookin' because we have less than 3 months left! It has been a quiet year with few natural disasters. 2011 was far worse with the giant tsunami in Japan and the horrible tornadoes in the U.S.

IndianaHiker

I'd say we could always go ask a Mayan .......if we could find one.

Seems that a culture that couldn't see their own demise couldn't possibly predict the end of time.

So I'll keep right on planning those future trips and adventures.
Actually the Maya are tired of the hype. The calendar actually doesn't predict the end of days. The end of days is something that Christians have added to it according to research and articles I have read.

Maya Tired of the Hype

JeepThrills

I don't think the world will end, but I am getting a kick out of all the different scenarios they seem to be showing on television and at the movies. The world is taken over by zombies (The Walking Dead). The world is taken over by apes (Planet of the Apes). All the power goes out (Revolution). The world is invaded by aliens (Falling Skies).

I suspect when it does end, however, it will be because mankind did something stupid and we blew ourselves up.

Boboque

I've always gone the way of the ant instead of the grasshopper. I'm always trying to save up and store up. I grant you this year wasn't a bumper crop, but we always try to put food and supplies over to tide us over at least a month. As far as if it's going to be the end of the world, I don't think so but I wouldn't argue with someone who is dead certain it's going to happen. To each his own I say.

jason

fear no beer
All the power goes out (Revolution).
I cannot lie. Well I can if you are a female, but that is a whole other story. But the power going out sounds nice to a part of me. I just wish my little one was older so I would not worry about him more then I do now. But just think, I could unplug better then. I almost feel like this picture some nights.

Attachments

EmberMike

I know what you mean, Jason. I've been having a hard time dragging myself in front of the computer lately. I'm seriously beginning to think it's taking a physical toll on me and my health. We're not meant to sit at desks gazing into glowing screens all day.

I too watch Revolution and sometimes think, "Hmm.. no electricity wouldn't really be so bad."

Last edited:

EmberMike

I don't think the world will end, but I am getting a kick out of all the different scenarios they seem to be showing on television and at the movies. The world is taken over by zombies (The Walking Dead)...
I love that show. So excited for it to be coming back in a week and a half.

And as far-fetched of an idea as a Z apocalypse is, people believe in it. They read the Zombie Survival Guide like it's a work of non-fiction and buy anti-zombie weapons. I saw on some website recently a "zombie killer" knife designed to hold up to stabbing zombies in the head.

Grandpa

I love that show. So excited for it to be coming back in a week and a half.

And as far-fetched of an idea as a Z apocalypse is, people believe in it. They read the Zombie Survival Guide like it's a work of non-fiction and buy anti-zombie weapons. I saw on some website recently a "zombie killer" knife designed to hold up to stabbing zombies in the head.
Wow, where can I get one of those??:tinysmile_twink_t2: