What's your opinion on this?

oldsarge

Neighborhood Watchman Who Allegedly Shot Trayvon Martin Wanted to Be a Cop - ABC News

I feel that this guy should be charged. From what I've read on previous articles. He was told not to intervene because the police were on the way. Seems like he clearly overstepped his boundaries. Also looks like the local police botched up the investigation by not testing the shooter for drugs or alcohol. My condolences to the family of the fallen teen.

Milly

I could not even finish reading the article, because I was too disgusted! I can not believe the police did not follow proper procedures, when it came to drug and alcohol testing the guy. The fact that the loser went free sickens me to the core. He basically stalks the poor boy down and then shoots him on his doorstep. Since when is this okay?

CozInCowtown

Based on this one article I believe Mr. Wanna B.Cop needs to be behind bars before he kills another inocent.

The comment he made concerns me:
"On one call to a non-emergency dispatch number, according to Julison, Zimmerman says, "He's checking me out," and then, "This guy looks like he's on drugs, he's definitely messed up."
"These a**holes always get away," he adds."

This tells me he stalked the kid to his home, assaulted him then shot him when the kid tried to defend himself against an violent attack.
I will sign an petition.....
DC

Pathfinder1

Hi...

It will be interesting to see what outside investigations (if any), have to say about the apparent incompetence of the police force. Wonder if any of those cops came from Boulder (remember the botched Jonbenet Ramsey case?)...!!

There's certainly a lot of accountability due to the family. My best wishes to them.

beemerphill

There was a report on TV about this. This WannaBe appointed himself to be the armed "neighborhood watch". In the past year he had made 50 calls to 911. Most of them were false alarms. Loser. My guess is he knows someone on the force, or is connected in some way to the powers that be. Around here, he would get slapped down on his first screw-up. Some one there let him get away with it.

:tinysmile_cry_t2::tinysmile_angry2_t:

Marshmallow

This is a ridiculous situation. I think some of the cop shows on television instill this kind of stuff into people, especially younger generations. It's gotten so bloody and violent that I turn the stuff off when it comes on, which is often these days.

Lorax

Some people go looking for trouble. This idiot found some. He will eventually be locked away for a very, very long time. What a stupid situation to put yourself in.

Last edited:

ppine

Forester
This is a really sad case, that will be exposed fully in the future. It is hearteneing to see the gun advocates on the forum rally around an apparently innocent victim of gun violence. We are the most violent society on Earth. It is the price we pay for the level of freedom we enjoy.

edit-After some research, I realized that the US is by far the most violent industrialized society. Other countries with a history of civil unrest like Rwanda, Ukraine, Bosnia and others have more gun violence.

Last edited:

Milly

I just happened to see this story on the news, the day after I read it here! I might have misheard, but I swear I heard the news say that the dad of the shooter says his son did not make those calls. Why on earth would he say that? Duh, yea he did the have it on tape. If you are worried because your son is a bad person, don't tell the media anything. It just makes you look dumb when you deny something like that!

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Just saw a blog in today's Outdoor Strife...saying that state and Federal agencies are investigating...and will provide a grand jury with their findings on April 10.

This is to determine if Zimmerman was acting in self defense...or if he should be charged with a crime...up to and including manslaughter...or even second degree murder.

Florida has a "Stand your ground" law...meaning that you don't have to retreat if you think you are in eminent danger (I'm paraphrasing, now).

oldsarge

Here's an interesting perspective to look at. If true, it just confirms how inept out journalist are in reporting accurate news. Initial reports led me astray and had me rushing to conclusions. I still think that this self appointed urban watch guy was wrong to try and subdue this kid when the police told him not to. Doing so may have put him in the situation describe in the following report. He should still be held accountable for his action of possibly escalating the event into a situation to where he needed to resort to deadly force.

Zimmerman was on the ground being punched when he shot Trayvon Martin - Charleston Charleston Conservative | Examiner.com

ponderosa

I've read these same points in some of the mainstream news outlets, including the report that Zimmerman was being beaten by Martin just prior to Martin being shot. I still think Zimmerman is the party most at fault. I suspect the boy felt he was acting in self defense against Zimmerman, who confronted him for no legitimate reason, waving a gun in his face. Under the circumstances, if I were in Martin's place and had the ability to bring the guy with the gun down, I would. And I wouldn't stop hitting him until the threat was neutralized. And I don't care what Martin did to be suspended from school. It's irrelevant to the events of the day he died, when he was apparently just walking home from the store, unarmed.

Lorax

The more you look into this story, the more weird it gets.
Take for example, why no recent pictures of Martin have been released by the family, just the press ones from when he was 12-14 showing a seemingly frail and innocent Martin. The call from the "girlfriend" to Martin that was recorded (who thinks to record their phone calls?), the fact that Zimmerman had a broken nose and the back of his head was messed up due to the concrete.

Was the use of deadly force justified? Did Zimmerman have to pursue the unknown guy at that point? (The dispatcher is heard to tell him not to follow, but a dispatcher is not an authority) Did Martin turn and come at Zimmerman? Did Zimmerman just shoot? Where was Martin shot and from what range? Was there close range powder residue on Martin? Was there even a physical altercation between the two?
And mostly....Was this already cleared and not heard about again until it hit the social media platform and not some kind of police cover-up a lot of people think it is?

This is a sticky situation for all parties.

To look at this with absolutely no bias, it would seem like there are a lot of gaps that hearsay and facebook campaigns do not address.

Last edited:

oldsarge

The more you look into this story, the more weird it gets.
Take for example, why no recent pictures of Martin have been released by the family, just the press ones from when he was 12-14 showing a seemingly frail and innocent Martin. The call from the "girlfriend" to Martin that was recorded (who thinks to record their phone calls?), the fact that Zimmerman had a broken nose and the back of his head was messed up due to the concrete.

Was the use of deadly force justified? Did Zimmerman have to pursue the unknown guy at that point? (The dispatcher is heard to tell him not to follow, but a dispatcher is not an authority) Did Martin turn and come at Zimmerman? Did Zimmerman just shoot? Where was Martin shot and from what range? Was there close range powder residue on Martin? Was there even a physical altercation between the two?
And mostly....Was this already cleared and not heard about again until it hit the social media platform and not some kind of police cover-up a lot of people think it is?

This is a sticky situation for all parties.

To look at this with absolutely no bias, it would seem like there are a lot of gaps that hearsay and facebook campaigns do not address.
So true! I do feel the dispatcher gave sound advice and it should have been followed. I believe that some of these dispatcher are trained well. They really need to know their boundaries as to what type of advice can be given. It's all about the liability.

I read about Florida's "stand you ground" law. It can apply to Martin also. The weapon may not have been out when the fight started. It may have been pulled out when Zimmerman was being hit while on the ground. So much for escalation of force! if Zimmerman had any training in this matter, he should have had pepper spray or an ASP to control the situation. Then again if he had training would have known to wait for the proper authorities.

Greatoutdoors

In my opinion Zimmerman should have never followed the kid, but obviously some kind of physical altercation took place between the two of them. If Zimmerman had concrete in the back of his head then he had every right to believe his life was in danger, and the shooting would be self defense. Even though the moron put himself in a situation to need to defend his life it was still self defense.

Cozintown: The school released today that he had been suspended three times. Once for a baggie with marijuana residue, once for defacing school property, and once for having burglary tools and a bag full of jewelery.