What's your opinion on this?

oldsarge

There is so much to be learned from this. I don't know how the criminal case will turn out in court, but a civil case will probably lean towards Martins side.

The lack of knowledge of both parties and the misleading information makes this a hard situation to figure out. One issue that bothers me know is how Martin's family make him out to be less of what he is. Showing pictures of him at age 14, clean cut and honest looking. Then look at his Facebook page, 17 years old, taller, giving the world the finger with his underwear sticking out like a street punk. This is no reason for him to have died, but on the other hand it clearly dictates an altogether different person. I still feel that Zimmerman was wrong in what he did by perusing Martin and creating a situation that escalated into a life and death situation.

My questions are,
1. Did Zimmerman approach Martin with the gun in his hand?
(Depending on when Martin
noticed the gun makes a difference to me, Martin could have
been standing his ground and fighting for his life)
2. How was Martin to know who Zimmerman was? (As soon as I
notice I'm being followed, my guard is up. If at all of a
sudden I'm approached and see a weapon, that is a critical
time)
3. Did Zimmerman identify himself properly? (This could be a big
factor in the case I think. Even if Zimmerman identified
himself as a neighborhood watch captain. I don't feel he
possess the authority to detain anyone. Our community
issues radios to contact the dispatch for police assistance.
There's a fine line of liability when assuming one of these
roles)
4. How well was Zimmerman trained in these types of situations.
( He evidently didn't know about escalation of force. He went
right to a deadly weapon. All because of a situation he
created)

Like I said, there's so much to be learned for this, from both the perpetrator and victim.

Last edited:

CozInCowtown

This was supposed to be a gated community, is that correct?
If so, did the kid live there?
If not, what was he doing there?
Lotsa unanswered questions IMO,
DC

CozInCowtown

DC

oldsarge

DC
From what I've read, you are correct. It was a gated community. Martin was visiting his Father. According to the news, Martin left to go to a store where he bought candy and a drink. During his return is went the event took place.

I watched an interview with Zimmerman's attorney, He said that once all the investigating is done and evidence is looked at is when we'll know more.

Greatoutdoors

I thought all of that stuff was standard operating procedure for the mainstream news. Aren't they trying to incite anger and hate for advertising dollars?

Pathfinder1

Hi...

CNN and other TV networks are doing everything they can to "create" more news out of what the public already knows.

And they like people like Sharpton (who carries no more status than Paris Hilton!) to open his big mouth to see what falls out...!!

Such is life. Greed begets dollars...sometimes!! And the tides of time will soon wash it all away...!!

Tone

With everything that's come out about this story thus far, It's become increasingly clear that the local police are a bunch of incompetent goobers who have no idea what they are doing. Because of that, I think Juinor cadet Zimmerman would be a perfect addition to the force. That is, if the guy never gets taken in for his questionable actions that night.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Cozintown: The school released today that he had been suspended three times. Once for a baggie with marijuana residue, once for defacing school property, and once for having burglary tools and a bag full of jewelery.
Curiouser and curiouser. I know it is an assumption but the assumption then is that the kid either used or sold controlled substances, may have been in a gang (known to use tagging for claiming their section) and quite possibly a burglar or receiver of stolen goods.

This does not mean he deserved to die and may have only needed an attitude adjustment. Unfortunately he ran into one of "those guys" at the opposite end of the spectrum.

I believe that very few deserve to die but so many are asking for it.

Grandpa

Hmmm Toby and Willie thoughts running through my head

We got too many gangsters doing dirty deeds
We've got too much corruption, too much crime in the streets
It's time the long arm of the law put a few more in the ground
Send 'em all to their maker and he'll settle 'em down
You can bet he'll set 'em down 'cause

Justice is the one thing you should always find
You got to saddle up your boys
You got to draw a hard line
When the gun smoke settles we'll sing a victory tune
We'll all meet back at the local saloon
We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces
Singing whiskey for my men, beer for my horses
**Toby Keith**

dkramarczyk

Neighborhood Watchman Who Allegedly Shot Trayvon Martin Wanted to Be a Cop - ABC News

I feel that this guy should be charged. From what I've read on previous articles. He was told not to intervene because the police were on the way. Seems like he clearly overstepped his boundaries. Also looks like the local police botched up the investigation by not testing the shooter for drugs or alcohol. My condolences to the family of the fallen teen.
I definitely agree that he overstepped his boundaries. It seems like basically he wanted to try being a cop and realized that he has no training once it was too late. I definitely think that the police messed up by not testing him. But then again, it would've been a waste of time if all the tests came out to be negative. I just wish stuff like this would never happen. There are so many horrible things that happen in the world. This, Casey Anthony, etc.

oldsarge

I definitely agree that he overstepped his boundaries. It seems like basically he wanted to try being a cop and realized that he has no training once it was too late. I definitely think that the police messed up by not testing him. But then again, it would've been a waste of time if all the tests came out to be negative. I just wish stuff like this would never happen. There are so many horrible things that happen in the world. This, Casey Anthony, etc.
After all this new evidence has come forward, it's getting harder to make a call on this. Now it seems that Zimmerman lost track of Martin and went back to his car. If this is the case, then this really turns things around. only problem is that only two people know what really happened and one of them is dead. Who can you believe now? I think this is going to go on for a long time. Possible turning into a major race issue like it always does. Really getting tired of it myself...the whole race thing that is.

oldsarge

Has this case changed, or what? It's amazing what a bumbling police department and the media can do!

Greatoutdoors

This is the case that will never end. In my opinion, the whole thing has been blown way out of proportion by the media and it's just a smoke screen to keep people's minds and eyes off of what is really going on around them.

JeepThrills

Has this case changed, or what? It's amazing what a bumbling police department and the media can do!
I still don't know what to think. I am glad I didn't post a bunch of stuff on my Facebook page (about the incident) like a lot of people did. I had a feeling there was going to be more to the story and it looks like I was right.