Ever Been Banned from a Site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppine

Forester
It will probably not surprise anyone, but I just got banned from Bushcraft USA today. There really was no discussion, they just said get lost.

This was an example of a site for newbies, that is carefully controlled. I got tired of videos of how to boil water, and camping in the backyard. People needed help selecting a wool blanket. They were in love with knives and axes, but didn't seem to use them much.

I was taken aback by the experience however, and will try to learn from it. Once again it is great to be on this forum, where people have the experience to know what they are talking about, and the compassion to tell it like it is with respect. Anyone else ever been banned from a website?

Pathfinder1

ppine;
It will probably not surprise anyone, but I just got banned from Bushcraft USA today. There really was no discussion, they just said get lost.

This was an example of a site for newbies, that is carefully controlled. I got tired of videos of how to boil water, and camping in the backyard. People needed help selecting a wool blanket. They were in love with knives and axes, but didn't seem to use them much.

I was taken aback by the experience however, and will try to learn from it. Once again it is great to be on this forum, where people have the experience to know what they are talking about, and the compassion to tell it like it is with respect. Anyone else ever been banned from a website?

Hi...

Not yet, ppine...not yet...!!

Cappy

Well like you said dude it may not surprise yall but I too was asked to take a hike offn a fly fishing forum. It was a bunch of River runs through it"" Fly snobs that figured if ya didn't worship the Great God of hand tied flies ya weren't worthy to be there. As yall know by now i type like I talk and use big bold brown fonts. To me this reflects who I am . To them it made me a non conformist. They also couldnot abide the fact that i used my fly rod to fish bass, perch, and used it as a flipping stick for red fish and specs and even a jig pole for crappie. Blasphemy they said!!!!Turns out the forum was way too narrow minded for me. Das what I love about this place. its title is outdoors not specific to any one activity. What keeps me coming back here is its filled with well rounded outdoor folk who understand we all aint fly snobs or back packing techno geeks, etc

Judy Ann

Sorry that you were banned ppine and Cappy from those sites. If it weren't for advice from everyone here, both newbie and experienced folks, I would never have come to enjoy camping and backpacking as much as I do. I enjoy reading most topics and one never knows when some little bit of information might come in handy down the road!

Grandpa

They haven't banned me but I've banned a couple of them. Got tired of a small handful taking over a website when they are merely postcard wilderness officiondos. The beauty of this site is we can agree to disagree with respect.....most times.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

wvbreamfisherman

Well - kinda sorta banned from a political site. They didn't like getting disagreed with. They also didn't like having all my points backed up by impeccable references...

BGreen

Who wants to be on a site that doesn't want you anyway? I'm too easy to get along with on websites. I try not to make waves. If I start talking religion or politics, I know things can heat up, so I usually avoid those topics. I don't like confrontation and online stress. If things heat up, I just stop visiting the site.

CozInCowtown

Never been banned but like mentioned above, I have banned a few sites over the years.
Monster Muleys was my first. I registered and made a first introduction post, came back later that afternoon and found being called many nasty names and told where to stick it.
:noidea:
Never even replied and never went back.
I had my own forum for many years, Texas Hunting Forums, and like this site required members to be civil and respectful to each other. Feel free to disagree and attack the content but DO NOT ATTACK OTHER MEMBERS!!
Unfortunately I did have to bann a few over the years, I hated to do it but hey, if you can't live by a few simple rules...
ppine, you are home so there is no reason to wander off.
DC

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
...If I start talking religion or politics, I know things can heat up, so I usually avoid those topics...
Those two topics can ruin any forum. Nobody has ever changed their minds during the innane arguments.

Bushcraft USA…Ppine, your observations of that site are spot on except you left out the two moderator trolls who like to throw public temper tantrums just to say Lookee Meee!!! It is amazingly sad. One even posted a video of himself ranting on about something incomprehensible, contradicting himself and exclaiming that it’s because he is an American so nobody can tell him anything. It went on for near half and hour. It was close after another moderator troll did something similar in text. It is unprofessional but four year old mentalities know nothing about that. I was never involved with any of it, just discussed to the point that it just turned me off like hearing any whiny crybaby.

Did you see most of their camping pictures had vehicles in them? Wilderness navigation and the remote terrain for bushcrafting mountain men are just too scary! And you are right, much of the stuff is very elementary, the kinds of things we were doing when we were ten years old. The elementary stuff and all the backyard playpen stuff didn’t bother me as much as the adolescent moderating crew did but that did induce me to ban that site from my computer. The mods there are inept juvenile acting fools who most likely startle at their own shadow in real life. Some of the ones who feel inferior will try to destroy the creativity of others at times. The confident ones encourage it.

Don’t worry over it any. You are a good participant and have a good way of putting things, at time poetic or even profound. I don’t agree with anyone 100% of the time on everything but you are a good one to have around the campfire. It is their loss.

Sagebrusher

The "offending" thread. I don't necessarily completely agree with you ppine, being a noob myself when it comes to bushcraft, but their response was way over the top. I do agree that calling that trip an "expedition" is ridiculous, though. Maybe if it had involved some bushwhacking or a lot of dragging/carrying of the canoes in order to get to some inaccessible area...

Video for Adirondack Canoe Expedition - Two Nights in the Mountains

carmen

I guess I can join in on the ban club, maybe we need a campfire going to start telling stories. A few years ago we were looking around online for ideas to start our own website and looking for someone to build it for us. The owners of the hangout assumed that both me and my husband were the same people and booted both accounts. I never went back and even years later their site comes in the new feeds we get about other people having similar issues or the people who control the site setting bans without reasons. It is such a silly thing too.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Just scanned part of their (his) film. The only difference between what they were doing and car camping...is they had a lot more gear...!!

The 'axe' man wasn't particularly skilled, and some views of the canoes led me to believe that they had a little too little freeboard.

Didn't listen to it, so couldn't comment further.

And YOU got banned for your honest comment...?? Tsk Tsk.:triniti:

(Why does JONESTOWN suddenly come to mind...??).

Bojib

I was banned from another message board once. I apparently disagreed with the wrong person one day or something. I never did receive any explanation, just a note saying my account had been banned. My wife had an account at the same site and she got to stay, and no one ever mentioned it. Of course, she didn't frequent it after that experience either.

I have banned sites from my internet surfing experience though. One in particular, another outdoor site, except it is more local to me. I was posting about some hikes on there and I got jumped all over about it. They said I should do it in a more private area of the message board, a members only section. They treated it as thought I were letting out some big secret. Thing is, I was posting about the most public hiking area in the state, there are books about it, website about it, maps about it, all sorts of information available. I was even posting in the hiking section of the forum.

After that, I decided those weren't the type of people I wanted to associate with. I don't feel as though I'm too good to share hiking information with anyone. Especially information available to anyone with a library card or internet connection, and the trails being in a National Forest.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
Those two topics can ruin any forum. Nobody has ever changed their minds during the innane arguments.

Bushcraft USA…Ppine, your observations of that site are spot on except you left out the two moderator trolls who like to throw public temper tantrums just to say Lookee Meee!!! It is amazingly sad. One even posted a video of himself ranting on about something incomprehensible, contradicting himself and exclaiming that it’s because he is an American so nobody can tell him anything. It went on for near half and hour. It was close after another moderator troll did something similar in text. It is unprofessional but four year old mentalities know nothing about that. I was never involved with any of it, just discussed to the point that it just turned me off like hearing any whiny crybaby.

Did you see most of their camping pictures had vehicles in them? Wilderness navigation and the remote terrain for bushcrafting mountain men are just too scary! And you are right, much of the stuff is very elementary, the kinds of things we were doing when we were ten years old. The elementary stuff and all the backyard playpen stuff didn’t bother me as much as the adolescent moderating crew did but that did induce me to ban that site from my computer. The mods there are inept juvenile acting fools who most likely startle at their own shadow in real life. Some of the ones who feel inferior will try to destroy the creativity of others at times. The confident ones encourage it.

Don’t worry over it any. You are a good participant and have a good way of putting things, at time poetic or even profound. I don’t agree with anyone 100% of the time on everything but you are a good one to have around the campfire. It is their loss.
C'mon. They are a lot of fun. Just mention pencil sharpeners or gurus. Those little twits will go ballistic. I just love stirring the pot.:boink:

They are so gullible.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I got banned from digital photography school forums once. The thing is I wasn't sure why I was banned. No big fight or ongoing argument or anything... I just tried to log in one day and couldn't. I asked and no one could tell me why. So I rejoined under a new name and kept going. I did make my opinion known about the snootiness of some of the photogs on what is essentially supposed to be a learning forum, and my opinion that copyrights go way too far didn't agree with some, but since then I haven't modified my opinion and I'm still there. Someone told me they mass banned a lot of people and I might have been caught up in it.

The other board was a Disney world board. Someone asked "who uses twitter", and I said "I have never felt the need to be a Tweetard" and put it on my signature. When someone told me to take it off and complained it was "offensive to the mentally handicapped", I told them to kiss my ass and was banned. Never went back, there's other less asinine boards out there.

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
C'mon. They are a lot of fun. Just mention pencil sharpeners or gurus. Those little twits will go ballistic. I just love stirring the pot.:boink:

They are so gullible.
Oh man, you just made me come close to busting a rib. Funny! That is what it was, something about Gurus mixed in there. Its been a while. I didn’t see any particular Gurus on the various areas I concentrated on but I guess you never know when one will pop up.

I did click on Sagebrusher’s link and I can see how Ppine’s comments didn’t go over in that thread. I’d have just shined it on instead of jumping on the title but that’s me, not telling anyone else how to travel the terrain. I don’t think they should have just banned him though, that was not right.

Pathfinder is right, they need more freeboard. We used to do some canoe stuff in the ‘70s but I had a wide beam 18’ Alumnacraft that had a very shallow draft and plenty of freeboard. All our stuff was infused with white water, some of it ferocious, a thing I’ll never do again. I have no idea how I survived all that misspent youth.

Judy Ann

The "offending" thread. I don't necessarily completely agree with you ppine, being a noob myself when it comes to bushcraft, but their response was way over the top. I do agree that calling that trip an "expedition" is ridiculous, though. Maybe if it had involved some bushwhacking or a lot of dragging/carrying of the canoes in order to get to some inaccessible area...

Video for Adirondack Canoe Expedition - Two Nights in the Mountains
At first I thought to myself, " What Happens in Vegas...," but then I HAD to check the film out myself. I laughed at the ax chopping scene cause it reminded my of myself trying to figure out how to use a tomahawk. That poor guy trying to clean the hamster looked pretty lost and the bacon cooking segments had me really wondering.:tinysmile_hmm_t:

Would that be normal gear to take on a canoe trip? The cast iron pots, stove with chimney, custom made cooking tarp? What was with the guy hunting?

Sagebrusher, there are a lot of folks here that can give great bushwhacking advice or tell you where to go for information. You'll hear from more of them when you ask specific questions.

Ppine, Not everyone has had the years to accumulate the extraordinary life experiences that you have. Isn't it fun to be reminded of when you were first learning about the outdoors and of the journey going from novice to expert?

JeepThrills

I got banned from a pilot forum one time. The person that ran it had no clue what he was talking about and I called him out on it. He wasn't only doing a bad job of running the forum, but he was giving bad advice that could have gotten someone killed.

Cappy

I made it about 7 minutes into that video fore I hadda stop it. I just couldn't watch no more. If it was me they wouldnt hafta ban me If das an example of what they got to offer no thanks.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Status
Not open for further replies.