Ever Been Banned from a Site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppine

Forester
We can all agree that there are many right answers in the outdoors. Opinions expressed on forums are often poorly received until ones develops a reputation or some credibility. Many moderators are territorial about their sites and like to control them. They resent a new person with strength of conviction in their ideas.

Bushcraft USA is a an example of a site that is carefully controlled for people with little knowledge and experience. For a free for all site with little control, try "24 hour Campfire." Be advised that you can get ganged up on with political threads and unmercifully attacked. There are some good gun discussions on this one and horse related stuff.

ChadTower

Obviously they called it an Expedition because that is what they had parked 15 yards from their campsite.

Heh... watching that guy with the dual headed axe... not knowing that gravity chops safer than muscle... not knowing that is a job for a saw... not knowing that you never do that without eye protection.

The cast iron pots. Generally, no, you don't take those on a canoe trip. They're heavy, they're flat black, and they sink faster than a rock. Two men take up most of the load of those small canoes they had so you need to be economical with gear weight within reason. Cast iron cookware is just totally impractical for an actual expedition.

IMO, there is room for everybody in this lifestyle. There is room for Grandpa and his Alaskan treks. There is room for the Labor Day car campers who go once a year. There is room for these guys, too. The only thing that ever really bothers me is when people make a big deal out of being something they are not. Be who you are, own it, enjoy it, and don't try to force your preferences on how anyone else does it.

CozInCowtown

Well, camping is different things to different people.
My crew generally likes the comfort of the 5th wheel camper, that is what my girls are used to. My daughters idea of roughing-it wants to be anything under 4 stars.
Many here enjoy a tent or just wrapping up in a dry tarp while backpacking.
No need to knock others because they camp differently than the next person.
JMO,
Coz

Grandpa

Hey Chad, it's the Fridge that treks Alaska. I got one in the works but have never been there. The mountain west won't give me time to get away long enough to go that far.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

But you are absolutley right. There are so many little personal preferences that really don't matter as long as the user is happy and knows why he does what he does.

A big issue with me is LNT. Somebody somewhere sits down and with his limited knowledge writes up a list of you hafta, you hafta, all good stuff but for every you hafta there is an exception out there. In fact, I think I am going to start another thread on that. We had a good one a year or so ago.

ChadTower

Hey Chad, it's the Fridge that treks Alaska. I got one in the works but have never been there. The mountain west won't give me time to get away long enough to go that far.:tinysmile_twink_t2:
Ah, yes, my bad. Sorry about that. :) I've been away from the site for a while.

A big issue with me is LNT. Somebody somewhere sits down and with his limited knowledge writes up a list of you hafta, you hafta, all good stuff but for every you hafta there is an exception out there. In fact, I think I am going to start another thread on that. We had a good one a year or so ago.
I've had that discussion with people before. I've had people swear up and down that LNT is essential "because the Native Americans lived that way, right?" Erm... no, if they did, we wouldn't know they had been here, now would we? :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
We can all agree that there are many right answers in the outdoors. Opinions expressed on forums are often poorly received until ones develops a reputation or some credibility. Many moderators are territorial about their sites and like to control them. They resent a new person with strength of conviction in their ideas.

Bushcraft USA is a an example of a site that is carefully controlled for people with little knowledge and experience...
Well they did gang up on a newbie when I was there and in a cowardly fashion. It was right after the two rants I mentioned previously. The Mods in those rants said things like they wanted proof if any trips or doings that others posted. They wanted pictures and I reckon a stamped passport or at least a note from your mom. Some of the little lap dogs, who follow along, puffed all up and made some rants of their own and were patted on the head by those mods. There were folks who stepped up and explained that the behavior of those mods was unprofessional but were swept aside and dismissed like fools.

Then right about the same time a kid posted up about his beginners bushcraft kit in his own thread. Those lap dogs looking for a pat on the head attacked him and demanded photos of what he has done and for him to prove any experience. It was unbelievable. His post was how his mom sewed him a bag to put all his bushcraft stuff in. It was obvious he was a youngster but the mods just stood by and let the animals attack. I thought it was cowardly behavior. The kid was not trying to be a guru or look like an expert, just wanting to talk about the bag his mom sewed and the little kit he had put together.

That was the last straw. I have better things to do than to watch hyenas attacking a kid.

I think we do need a little empathy for the outdoor ways of others. I don't need everyone to camp or think the same.

Grandpa

I think we do need a little empathy for the outdoor ways of others. I don't need everyone to camp or think the same.
Amen to that. I'd hate to hike all the way in to the Soldier Lakes in the Frank Church just to find the whole bunch of ya already there cause you thought the same as I.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Theres a reason Cafe's have menus.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

oldsarge

I'm not impressed with the site too much. You can tell there's a group there who are stuck on what they believe. It would be easy to push there buttons and get their panties in a bunch. Easy pickin's for those who are trying to share with others their own experiences. I seen this before on an off road forum. Guys get slammed because they don't monster out their vehicles and abuse the crap out of them. Like I've heard others say on this forum "hike your own hike". Do your own thing is what I say. I'll continue to check out that forum, maybe even make a comment or two. Try not to push anyone's buttons though.

wvbreamfisherman

I spent a little time browsing around in the BushcraftUSA forum, and found it to be pretty boring, really. Everybody patting each other on the back for doing some routine stuff.

Have to admit, some of the pictures were good- even the Adirondaks Expedition guy had some pretty decent pics.

Barney

BushcraftUSA is just a bunch of old overweight farts who drive up to a lake or forest area and walk 10 mins to what they call is back-country. The majority of their posts talk about knife making or sharpening. There is more to bushcraft than bow drill sets and carving spoons. Everybody knows that site is run by arrogant schmucks who throw temper tantrums anytime someone doesn't kiss their butt.
Most of their Actual bushcraft sections for the site have very few active threads in them. I learned more bushcraft off of watching 2 episodes of Ray Mears then the content of their active discussions. Many of the mods do not like me over there because I dont always agree with them. But they havent found a legitimate reason to ban me yet. I make sure to be very cordial in my statements that disagree.
Its only a matter of time before they ban me. I have witnessed someone post a thread complaining about them editing other peoples posts and manipulating threads to compliment their views vs allowing people to have different opinions. The thread was there for 30 mins and had many replies with mixed results. Few people agreed and few disagreed. Moderator deleted entire thread and banned the poster within 30 mins.
I have found its better for me to do real research on bushcraft and just try and avoid BushcraftUSA's one sided discussions.
I typically just pop in here and lurk for a few and then hop over to HammockForums for my trip planning.
If I were you that would be more than enough to get out of there and never visit the site anymore. I hate such places.

Lorax

Never been banned. There are always clues when bad stuff is coming your way or the site has taken a turn for the worse and there's no use staying because it no longer contains the content that you went there for in the first place.
It's then that I just quietly disappear.

ppine

Forester
Chad,
I have been going on canoe trips for 50 years and have always had Dutch Ovens for the last 30 years. Lewis and Clark thought it was a good idea too. Refer to the post describing "that there are many right ways to do things in the outdoors."

ChadTower

Yes. It contains punctuation, random quotes and a dangling participle I made myself after watching a YouTube video on Bushcraft. :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Do you have pics?! Where are your grammar reports?! Let's see what you do before you go bugging out with a bag full of colons!

ppine, you're right, my post was my opinion. :) I grew up going on canoe trips where the water itself is a hazard. Everything had to be lashed to the boat, and if it couldn't be done without making the thing top heavy, it didn't go. We also had to be very limited on what we did not want to lose permanently if overturned. There was no recovery of items in that water unless it floated.

Heh, now that I think about it, I learned that lesson the hard way as a kid when my grandfather mistimed the tide on a day trip. We got caught trying to come back in against the outgoing tide. We ended up having to ditch nearly all of our gear into the water in order to prevent the Bay of Fundy tide from pushing us way back out into the harbor with about 90 minutes of daylight left.

ppine

Forester
Chad,
I always secure everything to the boat. Heavy stuff like DOs go on the bottom of the canoe amidships. I usually take my great uncles's 10 in from the 1930s. It has been drug across the bottom of rivers on a rescue line more than once.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I'm not impressed with the site too much. You can tell there's a group there who are stuck on what they believe.
I suppose I'll look around some more myself but I'm not impressed either. As a matter of fact, I managed to spend several hours on that site and did it inside of fifteen minutes. It's boring.

I'll never forgive ppine for bringing it up.

DuctTape

Hi ppine et al.

I just joined here because I was searching for ppine. I wanted to apologize to him for his banning over at the other site. While I had absolutely nothing to do with it, I wanted to say to ppine that he was not alone with his views and it is a shame that he was banned for expressing a contrary opinion to the group think. So much for learning and integrity I guess.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
Hi ppine et al.

I just joined here because I was searching for ppine. I wanted to apologize to him for his banning over at the other site. While I had absolutely nothing to do with it, I wanted to say to ppine that he was not alone with his views and it is a shame that he was banned for expressing a contrary opinion to the group think. So much for learning and integrity I guess.
It is good to see that not all forum members are koolaid drinkers, regardless of what the forum is. I'm a member over there also and while I have learned a thing or twelve over there, they are a bit clannish. I visit from time to time mainly because of Bushtramp. I really like the dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.