That good fall feeling

Cappy

I would love to have the 50's sounds better than the 80's and ya can keep the rain my friend we done had plenty.

Northern Dancer

...weather patterns are changing everywhere. I've been noticing the winds picking up considerably and the numerous warnings that we are receiving. Unprecedented - they are beginning to freak me out. My solo canoe trip last June was an example. Because of the unscheduled high winds it took me three and half times longer to get to my first site.

But...autumn is still a beautiful sight in our neck of the woods.

Grandpa

People who work in the outdoors are very attuned to the weather and it's patterns. Because I have lived on the same piece of dirt for 70 plus years, I have seen these cycles come and go. I really do not see any pattern that is much different. The weather people talk about how many triple digit days of heat this summer, but i remember the same chatter back in the 1950's. I'm not sure which era had the most hot days but whether one era had one more or one less day than the other is irrelevant. Both eras were hot. But neither compare to the dust bowl days of the 1933-34 era. I've never seen the likes of the cold we had the winter of 78-79 but a few have come close. Like Mark Twain said, "everyone talks about the weather, but no one does anything about it."

Cappy

I have seen it 87 degrees Christmas morning and 25 which is very cold for Cajun country. It's the weather And I aint blaming Man or cows it changes cyclically some what. I know I complain some about the heat but I have seen hotter years.

Roybrew

I like the changes of seasons. By the end of summer I am ready for cooler weather, and by the end of winter I am ready for warmer days and nights. The only things I dread is the short daylight and gray days in the dead of winter, and the sweltering heat of dog days in the summer. Luckily here in east Tn the later two doesn't last to awful long. I miss the snows we got in northern Michigan.

MacGyver

I'm not sure what my favorite season is for camping. I guess I'd have to call it a tie between Fall and Winter. Fall is great because the mornings are crisp, the colors are awesome and I've waited all Summer to go out. Winter rocks because I love snow filled woods and huge fires with no people around. (That last part makes me sound like an arsonist, doesn't it?)

dinosaur

troublemaker
Speaking of good Fall feelings, it rained today. It was in the high forties and a pretty stiff breeze blowing. Most folks stayed inside. Not me.

I love this stuff. The rain makes your footfall silent. The patter on the leaves is like a song. And the smell is incredible. It's loamy, burnt, fresh, and exciting. The sting from the rain on your face is enticing and when you look at creation, you're happy. If you're dressed right it feels good all the way down to your toes.

God help me, I'm completely insane.

Northern Dancer

...you will be happy to learn that there are others as insane as you - and possibly a tad more. We outdoor types sing a different tune and march to the sound of a different drummer. It's who we are and I'm glad of it.
Who hath smelt wood smoke at twilight?
Who hath heard the birch log burning?
Who is quick to read the noises of the night?
Let him follow with the others
For the young men's feet are turning
To the camps of proved desire and known delight.
- Rudyard Kipling

ppine

Forester
Twenty degrees this am. Just came back from buying groceries and found some honest to goodness fresh apple cider from Sandpoint, ID. It came in several varieties so I chose Gala. The gallon jug lives in the garage this time of year. That is a sign that it must truly be fall.

Saturday I am going outside a build a fire in the tipi poles. I will just hang the liner which is about 4-5 feet high on the south and west sides to block the wind. It is easy to see over if you stand up. The canvas reflects the firelight in a beautiful way. It is definitely fall.

Northern Dancer

Twenty degrees this am. Just came back from buying groceries and found some honest to goodness fresh apple cider from Sandpoint, ID. It came in several varieties so I chose Gala. The gallon jug lives in the garage this time of year. That is a sign that it must truly be fall.

Saturday I am going outside a build a fire in the tipi poles. I will just hang the liner which is about 4-5 feet high on the south and west sides to block the wind. It is easy to see over if you stand up. The canvas reflects the firelight in a beautiful way. It is definitely fall.
--------------------------------------------------> :)
I have visions of a t-pee all aglow at sunset with folks lounging around an indoor fire. All feasting on a savoury pot roast with succulent potatoes and fresh carrots from the garden smothered in rich dark gravey.

Cappy

Saturday is forcast to be 79F and "less humid" So here we go again with yard work hope fully we can get the blueberries transplanted to the new bed we built for them and the grass cut. While doing so get a fire in the box and possably some ribs in the pit big plans I know but teh cool weather has me excited. Good time to get the puppy used to the yard and taught not to jump in the boxes. Beaux being trained should help with that.

Roybrew

Wife has to sub at the high school today, so I guess dad and I will go drown some worms. It's actually 67 degrees right now, so I don't know where they get their data?

Cappy

caught that beautiful crappie on a worm? they bite much better on shiners. Or was ya just using the ole expression and meant ya were gonna drown shiners?

Cappy

Oh and I see ya know one of my tricks those old concrete bridge pylons make great cover and often hold fish. One of my go to spots. Old creosote docks can be good too but it has to be very old with good coverage of slime.

Roybrew

Oh and I see ya know one of my tricks those old concrete bridge pylons make great cover and often hold fish. One of my go to spots. Old creosote docks can be good too but it has to be very old with good coverage of slime.
I don't pass up a bridge pylon. Sometimes we stay right on top of them the whole morning.