Ever Been Banned from a Site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hummingbird

I don't even want to see it. Honestly, if they can't get over a bit of debate about a subject they need to just close the forum. I would rather be here with good company than be somewhere you have to agree all of the time. I would rather see people tell me if I'm off base about something. At least they are being honest with you if they tell you if you're wrong. And, I've never been banned.....yet.

wvbreamfisherman

I read that thread- what a bunch of babies! I loved that question- what do you call your trip reports? Ummm trip reports?

Two days in the Adirondaks? Heck we did 51 miles /7 days on the AT ( which is pretty slow, really), and I'd never call that an expedition.

Grandpa

9 days, 80 miles in Yellowstones Thoroughfare country is a walk in the park. Three weeks on the Annapurna or Mustang area with Sherpas in Nepal is an expedition. (I've been on a lot of good walks but never made it on a real expedition yet.):tinysmile_twink_t2: Still hoping though:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Hikenhunter

I've never been banned. I have a few other forums I visit, but OBC is definately my favorite go to forum.I hate the smart@$$ comments many of posters seem to have on those other forums. Here every body tries to remain respectful and courtious. I still go to those other forums on occasion, but onlt only after coming here first.

Cappy

Same here, Hikenhunter. Here first then my home towns forum, bunch of old coots talkin local sports and pretty much same stuff as here. With gardening and a local swap shop added. I also belong to several fishing sites that I seldom visit cause they so specialized. What brings me here over and over is the generality of this site. At one time I belonged to 6 different fishing sites 3 on fly fishing alone. now I rarely go there at all. Here is kinda the walmart of out door sites in it has a lil about alots instead of tons of one thing.

jason

fear no beer
Same here, Hikenhunter. Here first then my home towns forum, bunch of old coots talkin local sports and pretty much same stuff as here. With gardening and a local swap shop added. I also belong to several fishing sites that I seldom visit cause they so specialized. What brings me here over and over is the generality of this site. At one time I belonged to 6 different fishing sites 3 on fly fishing alone. now I rarely go there at all. Here is kinda the walmart of out door sites in it has a lil about alots instead of tons of one thing.
Walmart?! Ouch. Ok, you are getting back at me for the redneck comment aren't you? :tinysmile_fatgrin_t It is ok though.

I'm sure I've been banned before. I wasn't always the angle you see before you today.

wvbreamfisherman

Walmart?! Ouch. Ok, you are getting back at me for the redneck comment aren't you? :tinysmile_fatgrin_t It is ok though.

I'm sure I've been banned before. I wasn't always the angle you see before you today.
LOL Jason, are you saying you're more bent now, or less?

ppine

Forester
Thanks to everyone. It is great to be home.

It would appear that some people really like to pretend and fantasize on the internet about the lives they might have had. Some like to start a website so they can "control" what gets said. It is all kind of sad, and we need to have compassion for these people.

Here is a fun example what they didn't like on Bushcraft. There is a lot of knife and axe worship on this site. People collect tools and love to show pictures of them. I made the comment that working with an axe for 8 hours a day for several days is a sure way to get over the fixation and fascination of axes. It didn't go over too well.

wvbreamfisherman

Thanks to everyone. It is great to be home.

It would appear that some people really like to pretend and fantasize on the internet about the lives they might have had. Some like to start a website so they can "control" what gets said. It is all kind of sad, and we need to have compassion for these people.

Here is a fun example what they didn't like on Bushcraft. There is a lot of knife and axe worship on this site. People collect tools and love to show pictures of them. I made the comment that working with an axe for 8 hours a day for several days is a sure way to get over the fixation and fascination of axes. It didn't go over too well.
After I lost my bid to be re-elected to the City Council (which didn't really break my heart), I stood up at my last meeting and welcomed the new Councilmen. I also told them that they are about to find that running things is a lot different than running FOR something.

A few months later one of the newcomers told me that he had had no idea just how right I was ...

oldsarge

Hmmm...Bushcraft USA huh? I have got to see this. Gee, hope I don't get banned
I just registered so I could look around a bit. I may post something and see what kind of reply I get. When was that forum started?

Last edited:

TakeAHike

I have never been banned but I did quit a political site that I was moderating before because they refused to ban a person that was trolling me and picking uninformed fights with everything I said.

I just had a look around the Bushcraft USA site and I wish I hadn't! They actually had a post about "dragging" a fully stocked RV through the bush. Um...if you are going to the bush you AREN'T taking an RV. What are they teaching people over there? It looks like the blind leading the blind.

Sagebrusher

And what's up with the paracord bracelets? Another special wearable item* for special people? I haven't figured that out yet! If I'm in a survival situation and need some rope I probably don't want to spend the time unraveling a bracelet. :)

*like special hats for special people

wvbreamfisherman

And what's up with the paracord bracelets? Another special wearable item* for special people? I haven't figured that out yet! If I'm in a survival situation and need some rope I probably don't want to spend the time unraveling a bracelet. :)

*like special hats for special people
Shhhhh- my daughter's making me one for Christmas... :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Barney

I've never been banned but there were times when I was attacked just for not agreeing with the popular thinking. I hate those places where local drones gather to bash new members.

EmberMike

Somehow, any outdoors-related forum can easily become a breeding ground of wild ideas, extreme beliefs, or uninformed notions of what you should or shouldn't do outdoors. This site seems to manage to avoid a lot of that nonsense, thankfully. :)

I haven't been banned form other sites, but I've come close. Probably the closest was on a gear site where I just had to take issue with some rather extreme beliefs about choosing knives more for self-defense purposes than outdoor usefulness, extreme outdoor survival, bug-out and living-in-the-woods scenarios, etc. Don't try to tell anyone with a bug out bag why they don't need it. Trust me, that argument doesn't end peacefully. :)

In a lot of these cases, it doesn't matter who is right or wrong. It's popular opinion that wins, and if things get ugly the dissenting opinion will be seen as the one that instigated the argument. Thus leading to a ban (or a reprimand from a site admin).

Davefromva

Tool-Shed
BushcraftUSA is just a bunch of old overweight farts who drive up to a lake or forest area and walk 10 mins to what they call is back-country. The majority of their posts talk about knife making or sharpening. There is more to bushcraft than bow drill sets and carving spoons. Everybody knows that site is run by arrogant schmucks who throw temper tantrums anytime someone doesn't kiss their butt.
Most of their Actual bushcraft sections for the site have very few active threads in them. I learned more bushcraft off of watching 2 episodes of Ray Mears then the content of their active discussions. Many of the mods do not like me over there because I dont always agree with them. But they havent found a legitimate reason to ban me yet. I make sure to be very cordial in my statements that disagree.
Its only a matter of time before they ban me. I have witnessed someone post a thread complaining about them editing other peoples posts and manipulating threads to compliment their views vs allowing people to have different opinions. The thread was there for 30 mins and had many replies with mixed results. Few people agreed and few disagreed. Moderator deleted entire thread and banned the poster within 30 mins.
I have found its better for me to do real research on bushcraft and just try and avoid BushcraftUSA's one sided discussions.
I typically just pop in here and lurk for a few and then hop over to HammockForums for my trip planning.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

On a popular outdoor magazine's site several months ago, one of their posters 'roasted' anything and everything I posted on their site. I just let him rave and rant, never answering his ridiculous comments.

After a few of my comments to the web site's administrators, he suddenly 'disappeared'...!!:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Status
Not open for further replies.